Palliative care is specialized care that focuses on the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of the patients with serious illness or injury, and their families.
Palliative care can be provided at any age and at any stage in the chronic illness, along with other medical treatments. This type of care promotes comfort, dignity and quality of life. Palliative care is different from hospice care, which focuses on end-of-life-care.
You can benefit from palliative care when:
- You and your family are dealing with a diagnosis of a chronic or terminal illness.
- You have uncontrolled pain, trouble breathing or other distressing symptoms.
- You and your family have difficult medical decisions to make and want help thinking them through.
Palliative care versus hospice care
Hospice care is an end-of-life support service that focuses on caring, not curing.
Palliative care can be provided at any time during the course of a serious illness or injury at the same time as medical treatment.
How to request palliative care:
If you or your family thinks that palliative care would be helpful, please ask your physician or nurse for a consult.
The palliative care team includes physicians, nurse practitioners and registered nurses, social workers and chaplains. They provide guidance and support during:
- Overwhelming clinical situations.
- Help managing difficult physical, spiritual or emotional distress.
- Enhanced communication and facilitation of family meetings.
- Alignment of your wishes and goals of care with a personalized treatment plan.
Outpatient care is available through the Comprehensive Care Center. Appointments can be made for
- Help with pain control and symptom management.
- Caregiver and patient support.
- Help navigating the healthcare system. Advance care planning.
- Social services support.
- Facilitation of a family meeting.
Palliative care services are available at:
250 E. Dunlap Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85020
9225 N. Third St., Ste. 103
Phoenix, AZ 85020
7400 E. Osborn Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
9003 E. Shea Blvd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85260